Job Title: Communications and Engagement Manager
FLSA Type: Exempt
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
In collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer, the Communications and Engagement Manager leads and manages the external and internal communications of the organization and manages the implementation of organizational engagements such as member meetings, affiliate group meetings and other events and engagements as deemed strategically necessary. In collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer and the Director of Association Resources, the Communications and Engagement Manager develops and leads communications strategy, ensuring alignment with the strategic objectives of the organization and the member organizations served.
- Develop and manage website(s)
- Serve as chief editor for internal newsletter and all other electronic and print publications
- Develop and implement social media and other online strategies to support strategic objectives in advocacy, public relations, etc.
- Manage media relations
- Develop and manage internal State Alliance information systems, databases, surveys, etc.
- Lead research and reporting projects to support strategic objectives in advocacy, public relations, technical assistance to member organizations, etc.
- Provide communications consulting to member associations
- Other communications leadership duties as determined strategically necessary
- Lead State Alliance event development and planning, including biannual State Alliance meetings, annual Regional Meetings, biennial California Leaders Summit, and other meetings.
- Manage State Alliance virtual engagements
- Manage scheduling of regular and ad hoc meetings
- Manage vendor relationships
- Share management of various administrative functions as typical of a small organizational team
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & ATTRIBUTES
- Bachelor's degree preferred, or equivalent competency. Educational attainment level will not disqualify a qualified candidate.
- Exceptional writing ability.
- Knowledge of organizational information tools and systems.
- Expertise in research and reporting.
- Expertise with in-person and virtual event management.
- Expertise in social media uses and protocols.
- Functional knowledge of multimedia production.
- Working proficiency with Adobe Creative applications and graphic design in general.
- Skilled in using strategic communications to support advocacy, public relations and technical assistance.
- Knowledge of the California legislative, budgetary and regulatory processes helpful.
- Website development experience.
- Foundational understanding of YMCA brand standards or ability to develop skill.
- Ability to work independently as an active and engaged member of a team.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Available to travel occasionally (approximately five times per year) within California.
- Commitment to the Ys character values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
This is a full-time, exempt position, which works in an office location in Sacramento during standard business hours, with remote work until deemed safe by public health authorities. Occasional travel within California for meetings is required.
Starting salary is in the range of $55,000 - $62,000 per year, depending on qualifications. Health and retirement benefits are provided.
Please send your resume, a brief writing sample, and a cover letter describing how your experience and knowledge correlate with the responsibilities of the position to email@example.com.
The position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit applications promptly.
A list of at least three (3) professional references will be requested of applicants as part of a post-offer background inquiry.
California State Alliance of YMCAs is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service, member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.