The California State Alliance of YMCAs actively monitors and advocates on California legislative, budgetary, and regulatory matters on behalf of California's YMCAs and the communities we strengthen. Our 2022 advocacy priorities are focused on the health and safety of local communities, robust funding to support early learning and out of school time enrichment for California's children and youth, and matters impacting the sustainability of our local Ys.
The California State Alliance is pleased to co-sponsor SB 855 Childhood Drowning Data Collection Program with the American Association of Pediatrics, which will support the state and counties to collect quality childhood drowning data to develop a statewide Water Safety Plan. SB 855 had unanimous bi-partisan support in the Senate Health Committee, and now has been referred to Senate Appropriations.
The list below reflects some priority actions that we are continuing to monitor/input and does not represent our full suite of advocacy activities. For more details, please contact our Chief Executive Officer, Kris Lev-Twombly, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For an overview of our standing advocacy priorities, please review our Policy Framework.
- AB 1672- Public swimming pools: lifeguards (Monitor/Input)
- AB 1737- Children’s camps: local registration and inspections (Monitor/Input)
- AB 2501- school
- AB 2506- Cannabis: excise tax: cultivation tax (Monitor/Input)
- AB 2507- The Universal Afterschool Program: the After School Education and Safety Program: the 21st Century Community Learning Centers Program (Monitor/Input)
- AB 2638- School facilities: drinking water: water bottle filling stations (Monitor/Input)
- AB 2792- Cannabis: excise tax: cultivation tax (Monitor/Input)
- SB 855- Childhood Drowning Data Collection Pilot Program(Co-Sponsoring)
- SB 976- Universal preschool (Monitor/Input)
- SB 1074- Cannabis: excise tax: cultivation tax (Monitor/Input)
- SB 1281- Cannabis taxes (Monitor/Input)